Syllabus for 7th Grade Art Cycle
This 30 day cycle course aims to expose the 7th grade students to the basic tenets of art. Emphasis will be placed on learning the important Elements and Principles of Art and Design which are the tools that artists use to create their work. A series of graphic and drawing exercises will be introduced to familiarize the students with these important concepts.
- To familiarize the students in a short time-frame with the ELEMENTS AND PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN which are the building blocks of art production, in order to meet the NJ Core Curriculum Standards required for this subject and age group.
- To expose the students to historical art work that clearly makes use of these
ELEMENTS AND PRINCIPLES in order to awaken an understanding of the intellectual and emotional significance that they can convey. The successful achievement of this objective meets the NJ Core Curriculum Standards required for this subject and age group.
- To guide students in the creation of Line/Shape designs that incorporate the ELEMENTS AND PRINCIPLES to enhance the expression of creative ideas as required by the NJ Core Curriculum Standards aligned to this subject and age group.
GRADING: It is not at all necessary for students to be artistically inclined to be successful in this class. They will be graded on a rubric that focuses on three areas:
- Projects :70%
- Participation and Craftsmanship: 15%
- Handling of Materials: 15%
- Be on time
- Begin work immediately as per the “Objectives for the Day”
- Listen carefully to all directions
- Work diligently and handle all art materials responsibly
- Clean up at designated time, then stay in assigned seat until changing bell
The NJ Core Curriculum Standards addressed by this course are:
- 1.1.8.D.1Describe the intellectual and emotional significance conveyed by the applicationof the elements of art and principles of design in different historical eras and cultures.
- 1.3.8.D.1 Incorporate various art elements and the principles of balance, harmony, unity, emphasis, proportion, and rhythm/movement in the creation of two and three-dimensional artworks, using a broad array of art media and art mediums to enhance the expression of creative ideas (e.g. perspective, implied space, illusionary depth, value, and pattern.)
- 1.4.8.A.7 Analyze the form, function, craftsmanship, and originality of representative works of visual art.