1. Students are to be in their seats when the bell rings and ready to work. Please follow the directions posted in the front of the room. Students will otherwise be marked as LATE.
2. The entire class period is devoted to Italian; no work for other classes may be done.
3. The teacher dismisses the class, not the bell. We will work up until the bell rings, DO NOT pack up or get out of your seat before being dismissed.
4. Students will be excused from the room for emergencies only.
5. Treat all people and property with respect. Students are not permitted to deface any property.
6. Cheating is absolutely NOT acceptable. This includes homework, class assignments, in class assessments, and projects. If you do cheat, anyone involved will receive no credit for that assignment and you will inform your parents via letter that you write explaining what you did and why. Your parents will sign this and you will return it the next school day.
7. ALL rules in the student handbook will be STRICTLY adhered to. I need not rewrite them here. If you have any questions please refer to the handbook or me.
8. If you have a question or wish to speak, please raise your hand and wait to be acknowledged.
9. No gum chewing, at all.
10. You must be prepared for class every day. Detention will be assigned for the length of the lost class time if you go to your locker to get materials. Otherwise, unprepared students will get a zero for the day.
11. All backpacks, purses, satchels, etcetera must be off the shoulders, laps, and desks at all times during class. Place them on the floor or on the rungs underneath the desk.
CONSEQUENCES for breaking a rule, not necessarily in this order.
After school detention
Phone call home
Sent to Assistant Principal
You are all young adults. Behavior as anything less will not be tolerated. I believe that all my students can behave properly in my classroom. I will not permit a student to stop me from teaching or to keep others from learning.
Course Policies and Procedures
1. Materials: Students must be prepared for class EVERYDAY! You must have your:
TEXTBOOK—covered *** NO booksocks, newspaper, construction paper or plastic covers!
FOLDER—only for Italian, 3 hole punched, in your notebook
NOTEBOOK: 2 inch, 3 ring binder – ONLY for Italian, with lots of paper and dividers. 3 sections to be labeled: Grammar, Vocab, and Verb, Do Now, and Classwork & Homework.
BLUE or BLACK PEN—assignments in other colors will not be accepted
COLORED PEN—for corrections on assignments
***ITALIAN-ENGLISH DICTIONARY – keep at home. This should be your first resource if your textbook cannot fulfill your needs. It is NOT considered plagiarism when you use this. Unfortunately, many students lose credit due to incorrect use of online translators!
2. Grading Policy:
50% Major Assessments: tests, formal projects, formal in-class compositions, formal oral presentations
30% Minor Assessments: written and/or oral quizzes, picture prompts, short writing prompts
20% Alternative Assessments: HW quizzes, classwork, skits, dialogues, quick-writes, in-class projects
3. Exams: You will have a midterm in January and a final in June.
4. Homework: Homework is given often; assignments will be a written assignment, a studying assignment, or working on a long term assignment. Students should always review class notes and activities as well as vocabulary for 10 minutes EVERY DAY! Read aloud your homework after you finish to practice pronunciation and to help you catch your mistakes. Homework assignments will no longer be graded for completion, but completion is REQUIRED!
5. Make-up Work: It is the STUDENT’S responsibility to contact the teacher to get missed work. I will not come to you. Use the school’s website for missed homework assignments, but remember that you will also have classwork to make up! If you do not have Internet access, contact another, dependable student from your class. If you do not make up your work in a timely manner it will be a ZERO! If it will be an extended absence you may have your parents contact the school guidance office for makeup work. If it is a planned absence (band, chorus, field trip, family trip, etcetera…) you MUST come see me PRIOR to the absence.
6. Plagiarism Policy: Use of any of the following services or similar types of services, are considered to be plagiarism and unacceptable; Use of these services, paid or unpaid, will result in no credit for the assignment.
- Internet translation websites
- Family, friends, etcetera
- Businesses or individuals who provide translation services for a fee